I first wrote about Sago Palms around Christmas time when a police dog near where I live died as the result of chewing on one in his handler’s yard.
All parts of this ancient plant are poisonous.
While doing research I realized that a tree in my own yard which had tried to kill me a few years ago was a Sago Palm that had grown into adulthood.
Recently a puppy in Georgia and one in Florida died after chewing on the plant. Children are attracted to the colorful seeds.
When I visited the nurseries of two chain stores recently, the Sago Palm was prominently displayed with no warning. I see it cropping up more and more in landscapes in newer developments around town.
While it is a popular landscape planting in warmer climates, it is being sold as an exotic houseplant in colder locations without identifying it as a Sago Palm.
If you can’t resist buying it, please remember to keep dogs and children away from it.