He got tangled in a phone cord and began choking. Somehow he managed to dial 999, the British equivalent of 911. Hearing heavy breathing, the emergency operator dispatched four police officers to the scene.
A neighbor, Paul Walker, let the police into the home where they found George choking on the living room floor. Walker ripped the wire out to release the frantic pup.
Grateful that her dog was all right when she returned, owner Lydia Brown said,
We still don't know how he managed it. It's one of those old-fashioned phones with the dialing ring. He's not usually very smart. He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks.