In Massachusetts Josie, a 4-year-old terrier, kept barking to wake her owner, 91-year-old Rose Cappola, from a deep sleep. When she awoke she found smoke from a malfunctioning furnace had filled her home. She turned the furnace off and called the fire department.
Firefighters credit the dog with saving Ms. Cappola from dying of carbon monoxide poisoning. The story
In western New York state, Eve and Norman Fertig, an 81-year-old couple, left their home during a snowstorm to tend to injured birds at a wildlife sanctuary they run. When they returned they found that huge trees had been knocked down by the storm, blocking the way to their house.
They struggled futilely for hours in the freezing snow to clear a path. Meanwhile Shana, their 160-pound German Shepherd-timberwolf mix, was digging a tunnel under the fallen tree. They were all able to work their way through the tunnel into the house. Once inside, Shana kept her owners warm until they could all be rescued. "She kept us alive," Eva said. Shana has been given the Citizens for Humane Animal Treatment's Hero's Award for bravery. The story
You can always buy new shoes or a new sofa.