This has to be one of the saddest dog--child stories I’ve ever read— and with an interesting twist.
In a bizarre freak accident a six year old Long Island girl was accidentally choked to death by the family’s 18 month old Golden Retriever.
The 40 pound child, Kaitlyn Hassard, was playing in her backyard with the 70 pound dog, Jessy. She was wearing a scarf around her neck and the dog asphyxiated her in the process of playing.
There was no indication that the dog was at all vicious or even aggressive, just the victim of its own playful exuberance. Although the family didn’t want to have the dog destroyed, understandably they did not want to keep it and turned it over to a shelter.
And here’s a twist: More than 1000 people have called wanting to give the dog a home. People seem to understand the innocence of the dog in accidentally causing the tragedy.
Currently the plans are to send the dog cross country to an animal center near San Diego. The Helen Woodward Animal Center in Rancho Fe, California specializes in adopting out cats and dogs that have been involved in traumatic incidents, helping them in many cases to adjust to the loss of their families.